Pasta Sauce Ingredients (To serve 4 people)
- 2 Onions (finely chopped).
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped or grated).
- Fresh Thyme and Basil Leaves.
- 2 Bay leaves.
- 2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes.
- Pinch Salt and Pepper.
Pasta Sauce Method:
- In a large frying pan, gently fry the chopped onion and garlic until they become transparent.
- Add the fresh herbs and Bay leaves. Tear the leaves off the Thyme and rip up the basil leaves (Keep the stalks of the Basil until later).
- Fry gently for 2 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, then remove from the heat.
- 400g ‘00’ grade flour
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt
(Basically, for every person you use 100g flour and 1 egg. So this recipe is easy to adjust).
- 2 tubs Ricotta Cheese
- 1 pack of ham ( cut into small pieces)
Thoroughly clean a work surface, or if you are short of space place a mixing bowl.
Measure out the flour and place on the work surface along with a pinch of salt, and make into a hill.
Make a well in the centre of the flour and crack the eggs into the centre.
Use a fork and whisk the eggs gently incorporating some of the flour from around the edge.
Once you have a thick consistency in the centre, incorporate all the flour and knead together to form a ball.
Continue to knead the pasta for at least 10 minutes until it is smooth and stretchy.
This is a basic pasta, which can now be rolled out with a rolling pin or a pasta machine to make lasagne sheets, tagliatelle, ravioli or spaghetti.
Prepare the filling for your ravioli. (Mix Ricotta Cheese and ham).
Roll out the pasta into a long oblong, it must be thin enough so when you hold it up, you can see your hand through it. If it is not thin, you will end up with hard thick pasta (which is unpleasant to eat).
Cut into large squares and fill as directions below.
Heat a large pan of boiling water and add some salt.
Place the ravioli into the boiling water a few at a time.
Once they float to the top, turn them over and boil for another 2 minutes, drain and leave covered over until all have been cooked.
Re-heat the sauce adding the basil stalks (which have been chopped into small pieces).
Pour the sauce over the ravioli and add some grated cheese on the top.
Great served with some Garlic Bread or a simple side salad.