- 225g Plain Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 50g Butter
- 30g Caster Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 150ml Milk
1)1) Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8 or 230 C
2) Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and butter until they become breadcrumbs
3) Add the caster sugar and stir.
4) Add the beaten egg and stir in thoroughly.
5) Gently add the milk a little at a time until you get a firm dough. You may not need to add all the milk, depending on the size of the egg!
6) Turn out onto a floured work surface and pat the mixture down until about 2 cm / 1 inch thick.
7) This is when you can add either sultanas, grated cheese, dried fruit or cherries to your mixture if you wish to have flavoured scones.
8) If you have added any flavourings, then knead these in until fully mixed.
9) Roll out your scone dough to 2cm / 1 inch thick and use a pastry / cookie cutter to cut out your scones.
10) Repeat the above step until all the dough has been used.
11) Brush the top of the scones with a beaten egg, ensuring it does not drip down the sides (as this will prevent the scones from rising )
12) Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
13) Place on a cooling rack until cooler.
14) Can be served warm with butter, jam and cream.