The Governing Body of The Orchard School is considering becoming a foundation school and formalising our relationships with other Kent Special schools by joining the KSENT Co-Operative Education Trust with 1st August 2016 as the proposed implementation date.
The rationale for this proposal can be summarised as follows
- We are committed to continue raising expectations and standards in our schools and working to improve the future prospects for all of our learners.
- To do this – with many changes taking place – we believe we need to build strong and long-term partnerships and make our school improvement planning more sustainable.
- Joining the KSENT Trust will allow us to build on existing working relationships between Kent Special schools and support us all in seeking to:
- Improve the quality of learning and teaching.
- Improve the wellbeing and behaviour of our young people.
- Enhance capacity by sharing resources and expertise.
- Improve value for money in a time of real terms reduction in funding.
- Support and develop current and future leaders.
Trust schools are part of the local authority system, but supported by a charitable trust which would be represented on our governing body. It is important to be aware that our own governing body will continue to run the school, handle the school budget and be responsible for the performance of our school.
The trust will support us when we need to work on shared priorities and will help to provide additional resources and expertise.
There is no intention of changing staffing arrangements as a result of these proposals.
Below are links to download a summary of the proposals, a public consultation questionnaire and the full Statutory Proposal Consultation document as well as a letter that was sent home to all of our parents and carers.
We hope that you will join in the discussion and come to one of the meetings if you are able to do so.
KSENT Consultation Meeting Schedule
The Consulting Schools
Broomhill Bank School, Broomhill Road, Rusthall, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN3 0TB
Five Acre Wood School, Boughton Lane, Maidstone, Kent ME15 9QF
Harbour School, Elms Vale Road, Dover, Kent CT17 9PS
Laleham Gap School, Ozengell Place, Ramsgate, Kent CT12 6FH
Ridge View School, Cage Green Road, Tonbridge, Kent TN10 4PT
St Anthony’s School, St Anthony’s Way, Margate, Kent CT9 3RA
The Foreland School, Lanthorne Road, Broadstairs, Kent CT10 3NX
The Orchard School, Cambridge Road, Canterbury, Kent CT1 3QQ