ABOUT THE ORCHARD SCHOOL
The Orchard School is a Community Special School. We cater for 80 pupils who have behaviour and learning difficulties as identified by their Education Health and Care Plans (EHC Plans).
The school caters for primary and secondary aged pupils although they are kept in two separate departments.
Staff at The Orchard are skilled in working with pupils who have a range of difficulties that prevent them from accessing their learning.
We work very hard to tailor individual programmes designed to help each pupil develop the skills and behaviours necessary to cope with life in school and beyond school in society, college and the workplace.
We aim to:
- Enable our pupils to cope more adequately with the requirements and expectations within a variety of settings and situations and within the wider community.
- Improve our pupil’s ability to interact successfully with others and be aware of social cues.
- Teach our pupils coping strategies for various difficult situations, assisting them to develop alternatives to unacceptable behaviour.
- Teach our pupils to identify, tackle and solve problems rather than to avoid them.
- Improve our pupil’s capacity to accept criticism and to give it constructively.
- Assist our pupils to make honest, perceptive and sensitive judgments about the actions and reactions of themselves and others.
- Develop our pupil’s ability to take responsibility for their behaviour and actions and increase their self control.
- Improve our pupil’s self image and confidence.
- Develop out pupil’s key learning skills and experiences.
- Assist our pupils to develop the vocabulary to express themselves confidently in various situations and seek help when appropriate.
- Give our pupils an opportunity to take pride in themselves and their work by demanding high standards.
- Develop interest in life, learning and leisure pursuits.
Some of Our Displays
To show what our students are capable of we showcase much of their work on the walls throughout the school. Below you will find a gallery of some of the work currently on display.
The Orchard School
The Orchard School